Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi has finally come out on DVD, which means I’ve gotten a chance to watch it…and learn what a terribly boring storyline it is.
<There will be spoilers in this post. Sorry/Not Sorry!>
General Leia (Carrie Fisher) leads her rebellion army, with Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac) and BB-8 in their X-Wing, standing up to the First Order…all while waiting for Jedi Master Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) to reappear.
But on the search for him is Rey (Daisy Ridley), who wants to train in the Jedi ways, all while Finn (John Boyega) tries to reconnect with her.
Meanwhile, Supreme Leader Snoke (Andy Serkis) is leading Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) to the dark side, as they try to find a replacement for Vader.
As long as Skywalker lives, hope lives in the galaxy.
Did you get all that? Because that’s pretty much the gist of it…and while the storyline is boring, the action is not.
The fight scene between Luke and Rey, despite being incredibly short, was one of my favorites, and when the Millennium Falcon swoops onto the scene you can practically feel everyone cheering.
But now for my issues with it all:
- The Leia in space scene should never have happened. The Force has been around for thousands of years, but suddenly now in the last 20 they’ve learned to fly in space?
- On that note, since when can they all just close their eyes and make “Skype” calls to each other?
- Also, turning on a lightsaber from across the room to kill somebody…if we can do that, and not need to hold it in your actual hand, why not just have tens of lightsabers, sit back and just fight everyone at once?
- Why does Snoke look and sound like Voldemort?
- Is Rose annoying? Yes. Definitely yes.
What are you looking at me for? -Leia
This movie has the action and excitement, lacks the story…only gets a 6.5 out of 10 from me.