I park my car every day in a lot, to which I pay a monthly fee.
Upon receiving my car every afternoon, I tip the guys, as it is a service given.
But last week I didn’t tip one day, as the service was below sub-par that day, and I heard them talking amongst themselves saying “Did he give you anything” and “He must’ve given to _____ <another guy there>”.
Let’s just clarify what happened to justify my non-tipping:
- When I park my car in the morning, they ask me what time I will be picking up the car. This I assume is so that they don’t bury a car that they will need at X o’clock. So when I come in for my car, at the time I said, it shouldn’t take that long to get.
- This day I walked in at 2:53PM, with one person waiting for their car already. At 2:55 another person walked in behind me to get their car.
- 2:55 – The women in front of me got her car.
- 2:57 – A new worker came in, and headed to the elevators to retrieve cars, while another worker came down in an empty elevator, and walked to the office to count his tips (yes, I watched, that is actually what he was doing).
- 3:01 – The first elevator came down (they have two) with the car of the person behind me.
- 3:03 – My car arrived.
A ten-minute wait on a day when they have an overabundance of workers, and no customers…
Tips are assumed to always be given, but quite frankly, they need to be earned.