The video game Hall-of-Fame opened in 2015 with a hall that was headlined by Pac-Man, Pong, and Super Mario Bros, and rounded out by Tetris, Doom, and World of Warcraft.
A year later The Sims, The Oregon Trail, The Legend of Zelda, Sonic the Hedgehog, Space Invaders, and Grand Theft Auto III were added to the prestigious list.
And on May 4th they will announce this year’s inductees, but for now they’ve just announced the nominees, and if it were up to me here is the Class of 2017:
- Pokemon Red and Green – This is the only one that was nominated before, both in 2015 and 2016, and was the start of a generation of outstanding video games
- Windows Solitaire – We’ve all been bored and opened this one up, even when we didn’t know how to play (at first)
- Tomb Raider – Had a greater reach than just video games, leading to movies starring Angelina Jolie in the lead role
- Mortal Kombat – We all remember when we successfully executed that finishing move to perfection and buried our opponents
- Donkey Kong – Barrel rolling gorillas remind me of my time spent in the Congo
- Wii Sports – This was the first game that really changed the “Human movement video game” world, and the start of a great YouTube era of “people throwing controllers through their televisions”
The remaining six nominees are:
- Final Fantasy VII
- Halo: Combat Evolved
- Resident Evil
- Street Fighter II
Now if previous predictions are an indicator, you can successfully say that I will be wrong on all six of my picks.