Next week is the start of the 2018 World Cup, taking place in Russia, so here is my non-professional, complete garbage, preview of the tournament!!
A day before the tournament kicks off they will announce the 2026 hosts, which is down to Morocco and a joint bid between America/Canada/Mexico, and the votes can currently go either way.
Thursday will have the first match, with the hosts Russia facing against Saudi Arabia, and then the full range, with three games a day, starting on Friday for the group stages Matches 1 & 2, with games at 8AM/11AM/2PM.
Matchday 3 will have two games at a time at 10AM and 2PM as they work out who moves on to the Final 16.
With the USMNT out of the running, a lot of people need some inspiration to help them watch these matches…here are some of the highlights and storylines of who to watch out for as the days progress:
- Belgium – They are a loaded team, with Kevin De Bruyne, Vincent Kompany, and the two sets of brothers (Lukaku and Hazard)
- Mexico – El Tris has had a lot of trouble in the past, as they have gotten eliminated in the Round of 16 for 6 straight World Cups…I think this is the year they finally push past it
- Spain – This team is likely to be our winners…and they are full of excitement, from Sergio Ramos to Diego Costa, and Andres Iniesta to David Silva
- Egypt – The big question: Will Mohamed Salah play? If he does this team will be electric
- England – Will this be yet another Lion disappointment?
- A large group of teams have that superstar that changes the game…like Argentina (Lionel Messi), Portugal (Cristiano Ronaldo), France (Paul Pogba), Uruguay (Edinson Cavani and Luis Suárez), Germany (Manuel Neuer and Mesut Ozil), Costa Rica (NYCFC favs Ronald Matarrita and Rodney Wallace), and even Australia (Tim Cahill)
Here are my predictions for the Groups:
Group A – Uruguay / Egypt / Russia / Saudi Arabia
Group B – Spain / Portugal / Morocco / Iran
Group C – France / Denmark / Australia / Peru
Group D – Argentina / Iceland / Nigeria /Croatia
Group E – Brazil / Costa Rica / Switzerland / Serbia
Group F – Mexico / Germany / Sweden / South Korea
Group G – Belgium / Panama / England / Tunisia
Group H – Columbia / Poland / Senegal / Japan
I hinted earlier at who I think will win…and maybe I’ll revisit it (bracket style) once it gets to the knockout stages.