Today’s “Desert Island” category will be Movies. This is the category that it took me longest to cover because it was the hardest to narrow down.
It’s not that I don’t enjoy a good movie, I just prefer TV Shows. I can watch episodes over and over, but never really feel that connection to movies.
So here are the five movies that I would have on my Island, and while I wouldn’t rank Leonardo DiCaprio that high on my individual actors’ list, I strangely have him in 3 of my top 6 movies (and strangely Tom Hanks too)…
- Gangs of New York – Daniel Day-Lewis runs the NY streets while Leonardo DiCaprio tries to avenge his father’s death on the streets of New York. Also, Cameron Diaz.
- Catch Me If You Can – Frank Abagnale Jr. (DiCaprio) scams the system, makes his own checks and runs up tabs around the country, while the FBI (Tom Hanks) is hot on his tail.
- Toy Story – This was the animated movie of my childhood, how can you go wrong with it?
- Die Hard – The movie of the 80s and the one you can watch over and over and “Yippie-Ki-Yay” along with them.
- Lethal Weapon – The banter of the movie is what is making the new TV show enjoyable as well.
Today’s “Desert Island” category will be Video Games. This has gotta be the best island ever, with it’s unlimited consoles and renewable energy powering everything…although my legs are starting to get tired from pedaling.
- Grand Theft Auto V — Really any from this series would work, but as each one has gotten better graphics and gameplay than the previous ones, the most recent one takes the cake…or the car.
- NHL 16 — The one sports game I can pick up new year after year, and never get tired of it. Especially as the computer AI has picked up its pace and made it harder for me to beat them. Not impossible. Just harder.
- Pokemon Silver — I chose this one for a few reasons. The series had started to get past some of the glitches of Red/Blue/Yellow, and we were still in a time period where the amount of Pokemon and types were manageable, still made sense, and you could figure out the type advantages. Also I kinda liked Lugia.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops — I chose this one from the franchise because the storyline was just that good. Written by one of the Batman Begins writers, the story was so deep, that playing the game a second time meant seeing it all in a whole new light.
- Super Mario Brothers — One of the classics, and could only get better by the addition of a “Save” feature in newer remakes.
Posted in Desert Island, Games
Tagged Batman Begins, Black Ops, call of duty, cod, Desert Island, EA, Electronic Arts, Grand Theft Auto, GTA V, Mario, Microsoft, nhl 16, Nintendo, Pokemon, Super Mario Brothers, Video Games, XBox, Xbox One
Today’s “Desert Island” category will be Musical Artist. My solar powered MP3 player will definitely be able to play these artists on repeat.
What artists’ albums would you not mind getting stuck in the CD player of your old Jeep?
Each artist has a Spotify playlist with them, consisting of some of my favorite songs from them. Playlists average about 35 minutes (so that they don’t get out of hand).
1. Green Day – My favorite group, and the first ones I saw live (standing just five feet from the stage), from their early stuff (Smooth) thru their political points (including American Idiot) most of their albums and songs are classics…although I’d probably have “mistakenly dropped” the CDs for Uno, Dos, Tre in the ocean.
2 . Linkin Park – They’ve been great from the beginning (literally the first track of “Papercut” on Hybrid Theory) with hits spread throughout their albums. True story: Sitting in the dentists chair, about to take the needle, and “In The End” starts playing on Pandora…how appropriate.
3. Kelly Clarkson – America’s first American Idol, she’s got a great variety of songs herself, from A Moment Like This to Piece by Piece), and her voice is great enough to do covers of many other songs.
4. Ellie Goulding – Personally I think she has one of the most pure vocals of any current artist, and she blasted onto the scene a few years ago. Most people know her best from “Anything Could Happen”, “Lights” and “Burn”.
5. U2 – They are among the GOATs, and I’ve had every song they’ve ever put out (even under a different name (I’m looking at you Passengers)), and while many have issues with their free album being shoved onto iOS, I’ll just accept more music from them.
I had to play by the rules, and only select five artists…otherwise artists such as Breaking Benjamin and Carrie Underwood would’ve extended this list.
Posted in Desert Island, Music
Tagged A Moment Like This, American Idiot, Anything Could Happen, Artists, Breaking Benjamin, Burn, Carrie Underwood, Desert Island, ellie goulding, Green Day, Hybrid Theory, In The End, Kelly Clarkson, Lights, Linkin Park, Music, Pandora, Papercut, Passengers, piece by piece, Smooth, Spotify, U2
Today’s “Desert Island” category will be TV Shows. Somehow the island I got stranded on has a DVD player and a monitor, and a single working outlet (strangely on the base of a palm tree)…lucky me!
What TV shows would you bring with you on this journey?
- Friends – If you are stuck on a desert island, you can be sure that no one told you life was gonna be this way….
- West Wing – One of the greatest drama’s that’s been on TV.
- Parks & Rec – Ron Swanson is exactly what you need to survive in the wild.
- Breaking Bad – Who would you sell the blue stuff to on the island?
- Big Bang Theory – The only problem with this show, is I’ll never know how it ends, since it’s still on the air…maybe glass bottles will float up with new episodes?
We all know the “Desert Island” game, in which you choose things that you’d bring with you if you were stuck on a Desert Island for an indefinite amount of time.
The first one I’ll tackle is Books, and list five that I would want with me to read.
It’d be great to hear what books some of you would bring with you!
- Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy — This book in the Ryanverse doesn’t include Jack Ryan, but it’s a long book full of lots of great action.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling — Arguably the best book of the Harry Potter series, with World Cup Quidditch and a Triwizard Tournament.
- Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain — There may not be restaurants on this island, but any little tricks and tips of the kitchen that can be gleamed from this book would certainly be useful.
- The Crass Menagerie: A Pearls Before Swine Treasury by Stephan Pastis — Gotta have at least one comic book, and Pearls is one of my favorite series’ to read.
- Moneyball by Michael Lewis — This one will show you how to properly manage what you do have, and how to best plan out the future.
Posted in Books, Desert Island
Tagged Anthony Bourdain, Desert Island, Harry Potter, jack ryan, JK Rowling, Michael Lewis, Moneyball, Rainbow Six, Stephan Pastis, tom clancy